You are here
Research for a stronger Iron Range.
NRRI's Minerals Lab in Coleraine, Minn., solves short-term problems, identifies unique market niches, provides medium- to long-range technical innovation and develops future products and processes. The facility has an analytical laboratory along with mineral processing, metallurgical and pyrometallurgical processing capabilities.
Lab Manager: Richard Kiesel, email@example.com, 218-667-4207
- Alternate mineral opportunities (ilmenite, copper, nickel, PGMs)
- Mineral liberation assessment
- Chemical Characterization
- Chemical Laboratory with state-of-the-art analytical equipment, plasma spectroscopy, Leco carbon sulfur and wet iron titration
- Bench-to-pilot scale facilities
- Gravity Separation
- Chemical Flotation
- Pyrometallurgy - High Temperature Processing
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling
- Mass and energy balances
- Process surveys/audits
- USIM Pac software concentrator modeling
- Process flow diagrams
Product Diversification/Alternative Iron-making Technologies
- Direct Reduced Iron (DRI)
- Nodular Reduced Iron (Iron Nuggets)
Taconite By-Product Development
- High-quality, wear-resistant aggregates for friction surfacing systems, upper course of composite pavements and/or thin-lift asphalt
- Taconite-based pothole repair and paving compounds.