You are here
Forest & Land
The goal of this strategic initiative is to deliver research solutions for forests and other terrestrial ecosystems that provide for a sustainable, resource-based economy and a healthy environment.
Expertise and capabilities include:
- Sampling multiple taxa -- vegetation, birds, mammals, numerous others -- and integrate this information to quantify ecosystem health.
- Long-term datasets associated with forest birds and wildlife useful for quantifying forest health.
- Spatial analysis capabilities, including LiDAR and other remotely sensed data relevant to forestry.
- Processing of large datasets, including development of data visualization utilities for researchers and agencies.
- World-renowned genetic stock of hybrid poplar adapted to northern climates and knowledge of field testing design and interpretation.
- Large, long-term installed base of red pine thinning and productivity study sites and aspen productivity and thinning tests in cooperation with industrial and public land managers.
- Knowledge of forest resource analysis, harvesting equipment and economics of wood procurement to help clients assess opportunities for expansion in forest products and biomass energy sectors.
- Hosting numbers of interpretive websites that translate data into information critical for decision-making and management.
Initiative Director: George Host, firstname.lastname@example.org, (218) 788-2664
For more information on this initiative, please navigate to a specific research area.