You are here
Areas of interest include environmental assessment and bioindicators, impacts of climate change, decision making in the environmental sciences. Research projects include: effects of multiple stressors on aquatic communities; testing indicators of coastal ecosystem integrity; predicting impacts of climate change on stream communities.
Professional Service: International Joint Commission Science Advisory Board, EPA Science Advisory Board Committee for Ecological Processes and Effects, UPM Blandin Technical Advisory Committee, Healing Our Waters Technical Advisory Committee.
Graduate Faculty, Water Resources Science and Integrated Biological Science, 2000 - present
Instructor, University of Minnesota Duluth; Landscape Ecology, Stream Ecology
Ph.D., Zoology, Michigan State University, 1999
M.S., Environmental Science and Forestry, State University of New York, 1984
B.A., Duke University, 1976
- Olker, J.H., K.E. Kovalenko, J.J.H. Ciborowski, V.J. Brady, and L.B. Johnson 2016. Watershed land use and local habitat: implications for habitat assessment. Wetlands 36:311 - 318
- Creed, I.F., Cormier, R., Laurent, K.L., Accatino, F., Igras, J., Friedman, K.B., Johnson, L.B., Crossman, J., Dillon, P.J., Trick, C.G. 2016. Call for formal integration of science and management systems to achieve sustainability of the Great Lakes. Bioscience (in press)
- Stueve, K M, Hollenhorst, T P, Kelly, J R Johnson, L B & Host, G E. 2014. High-resolution maps of forest-urban watersheds present an opportunity for ecologists and managers.Landscape Ecology 30:313-323.
- Smith, S.D.P.1*, McIntyre, P.B.2, Halpern, B.S.3, Cooke, R.M.4, Marino, A.L.1§, Boyer, G.L.5 Buchsbaum, A.6, Burton, G.A. Jr.7, Campbell, L.M.8†, Ciborowski, J.J.H.9, Doran, P.J.10, Infante, D.M.11, Johnson, L.B.12, Read, J.G.1, Rose, J.B.11, Rutherford, E.S.13, Steinman, A.D.14, and Allan, J.D.1 Rating impacts in a multi-stressor world: a quantitative assessment of 50 stressors affecting the Great Lakes. Ecological Applications doi:10.1890/14-0366.1
- Kovalenko, K E, Brady, V J, Ciborowski, J J H Ilyushkin, S & Johnson, L B. 2014. Functional changes in littoral macroinvertebrate communities in response to watershed-level anthropogenic stress. PLoS ONE 9:e101499.
- Kovalenko, K E, Brady, V J, Brown, T N, Ciborowski, J J H, Danz, N P, Gathman, J P, Host, G E, Howe, R W, Johnson, L B Niemi, G J & Reavie, E D. 2014. Congruence of community thresholds in response to anthropogenic stress in Great Lakes coastal wetlands.Freshwater Science 33:958--971.